Water Leak Information

If your consumption seems high, but you haven't changed usage habits, you might have a leak. You can contact the Utility Billing Department at 503-570-1610 with your concern and a water crew member will be dispatched to check your water meter (at no charge).

If you would like to check for a simple leak yourself, please read how to check for a leak and read your meter. If your meter is not turning but you think there still could be a problem, here is additional information for you.

Here are a few of the most common leaks.

We do offer adjustments on your bill if you should experience a leak between the meter and your house. To qualify for this credit, you must report the leak as soon as you are aware of it.

Once the leak is repaired, submit a Leak Adjustment Request Form to the Utility Billing Department by fax or mail. In most situations, your adjustment will appear on your next monthly statement.